Tangled Contrasts, 14x11

Tangled Contrasts, 14x11
Tangled Contrasts, 14x11

Thursday, October 27, 2016

Day 25 and 26 investigations of the Loj Road

Day 25 South Meadows 5x7 $100 Unframed

Day 26 Ice Up 5x7 $100 Unframed

Compositions galore along the Loj Road but in keeping with my fair weather plein air thang I am resigned to the warmth of my studio to interpret the day through thumbnail sketches and reference photos. Someone told me once "You can't have the shadows that dark It looks like it was done from a photo." I have given that pronouncement a bit of thought and have this observation of my own.

It is really about seeing. That particular artist knows her territory which is the Southwest. Crazy light there, shadows glow. In the Northeast light is different, comes in from a sharper angle in the sky. That makes the Adirondack light not the same at all. The density of trees sucks light right out of the shadows. Days like the last few are even darker since the cloud cover is so dense no light comes through. It feels like 7 am all day. And the shadows are Really dark all day.

Keeping my fingers crossed that next week will be warmer - a lot warmer so it can melt this first snow off. I thought we were going to get stick season before winter. Stick season: the season of bare trees.

Stay tuned.

Artliveslong, D

No comments:

Post a Comment